Monte´s Chapel of the Hills Funeral Home was established in 1932 by the late D. Frank Monte. The business began in a small building on Bank Street in San Anselmo, where the Monte family lived upstairs. It moved to its present location, on the Miracle Mile, in 1937, the year the Golden Gate was opened.
D. Frank Monte was very active in the community. The San Rafael native was a graduate of San Rafael High School in 1928 and served twice as mayor and city councilman in San Anselmo. His wife, Alice Brown Monte, a San Anselmo native, assisted him in the business for many years. Their son, Charlie Monte, also a native of San Anselmo, attended St. Anselm´s Grammar School and Marin Catholic High School, then graduated from San Rafael High School in 1955 and joined the business in 1956. A graduate of the San Francisco College of Mortuary Science, Charlie is one of the longest-serving funeral directors in Marin County.
Upon the death of his father in 1965, Charlie became president of the company. He was joined by his wife, DeeDee, in the early 1980s, and together they continued to operate Marin County´s only family-owned and -operated funeral home. The four Monte children have all assisted them over the years.
The Monte family has been an active part of the community since the funeral home began. They have been associated with Rotary, Kiwanis, The Buckelew Programs, Marvelous Marin Breakfast Club, St. Vincent´s School for Boys, Marin YMCA, San Anselmo Chamber of Commerce, San Anselmo Historical Society, Fairfax Native Sons, Marin Catholic Breakfast Club, Italian Catholic Federation, Y.M.I., and Knights of Columbus, among others.
Monte’s Chapel of the Hills offers families choices – from cremation to traditional funerals to memorial services. All arrangements that our families need are conducted by us personally at our facilities.
We are proud to have served all of Marin County for almost 85 years. We are grateful to the many loyal families who have supported us over the years, and we look forward to a future of continuing service to our community.